Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Linking In to Your Personal Learning Network

My first thought when I was asked to consider LinkedIn as a learning resource went something like, "Seriously?!? I would have an easier time teaching a class using Facebook!"  LinkedIn is challenging to think of as a learning resource.  On first consideration, it works like a social networking site for business--basically a Facebook for professional networking instead of social.  So I went exploring.  I went into my LinkedIn account to check out the features I had ignored for years.  Fortunately, we had just spent the previous week talking about Personal Learning Networks (PLNs), and what I found on LinkedIn were quite a few features that would be of great assistance of developing and manage a PLN.  I had never thought of using LinkedIn in this fashion, because until recently I had always treated my learning as an individual process. (Yes, I see the value of group work and make my students do group assignments, but it is not the preferred learning mode for myself.)  However, viewed through this new lens, I realize I already have a substantial PLN base in LinkedIn to exploit, if not several different PLNs that I could develop.  Many of my contacts are professionals I met while in graduate school when they were students, or professionals I encountered during fieldwork and conferences.  My PLN was sitting there, gathering digital dust!


In addition to professional and academic contacts I have made over the years, I have joined a couple of groups related to certain interests.  Periodically, I get emails from the groups announcing some event or article, messages I often ignored unless something monumental caught my eye.  Those same groups host threaded discussions and feature links to articles and items of interest specifically related to the group subject.  This information is very current, updated daily with the latest and greatest.  It is basically a newspaper dedicated to that particular interest.  Also, the groups present the opportunity to crowdsource through the group discussions. 

LinkedIn also has Pulse, which is kind of like a customizable blog feed.  You can subscribe to channels that feed articles on topics of personal interest, and you can find and follow what Pulse calls "Influencers."  From what I gather, these Influencers are of two types.  One is the industry leaders of a given subject, what is often referred to in certain circles as SMEs (Subject Matter Experts).  They are the ones who have built corporations, launched space stations, and thought the deep thoughts.  They are known and respected leaders of their profession.  They post infrequently, but when they do it carries weight.  The other Influencers are more traditional bloggers, writers who have relevant experience and have spent a good deal of time exploring and writing about related issues, and have gained a sufficient following to receive the title.

One of the Influencers I found of the second type, Zach Coelius, wrote an interesting article that speaks to the whole matter of LinkedIn and establishing PLNs, without calling them PLNs.  You can read about it here.  I will be trying this out, using some of his tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment