Friday, June 6, 2014

Learning Boards, Because Everyone is an Expert in Something

I just stumbled on to what I consider to be Pinterest 2.0, and it is called Learnist.  It is a true Web 2.0 platform for, as it states in its About page, Learnist is a place for learning and sharing what you know.  In the site you can find web, print and video content on a variety of topics.  There are also discussion forums that are divided into a variety of topics. Each Learnboard is content contributed by site members, and is also organized by topic.  You can choose to follow topics or "Curators" (a Learnboard contributor), and you can save Learnboards to a reading list to review at a later date.  They also are set up with apps for multiple platforms, so Learnist is fully mobile.



I found a Learnboard that discussed how to use Learnist in high school classrooms, but I see it applicable to higher learning as well.  Things such as organizing materials, collaborating with colleagues, and facilitating group work amongst students are a few of the uses they highlight.

Some of the boards I checked out featured summaries of materials that were found elsewhere on the web through the provided links. I thought this wonderful, because the multiple synopses provided in one Learnboard allowed me to identify and evaluate several different web-based sources quickly without having to visit each site individually.

I am still learning the service, but it seems to have promise.  The one thing I find objectionable is that it seems they have some articles/Learnboards that charge a fee to access.  It also has a "new" feel to it, so I am interested to see what will happen as the site evolves.

5 comments:

  1. This is actually pretty cool. Thanks for sharing it with everyone! I will be exploring this more in the next couple of days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Learnist and then they changed the interface and lost some great features that made it really robust for learning. You're inspiring me to give it a try again. I will, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mark. I visited the link regarding use in classrooms. I think it could be a handy tool for young and old alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I had to go check it out to see what it's all about and there are so many interesting topics! Keep us updated on your use and whether it's proving to be a good tool for you.

    ReplyDelete