Sunday, June 1, 2014

Types of Communities

I went back to the well for inspiration for my final week three post, and reviewed Jenkins' blog on communities.  I spent some time reflecting on Lee's taxonomy of community types, as well as the different ways for entering communities.  Over the last fifteen or so years, I think I have experienced them all, and would like to share some thoughts on them.

The most important feature of any community is its theme.  That element around which it emerged is what will drive membership and participation.  A strong enough theme will bring in users through the different barriers due to the pull of interest alone. I have to admit though, purchase communities only work if they are selling something beyond the community.  The only successful pay sites that are only selling social connections are dating services, in my humble opinion.

What I found more interesting were the concepts of Pools, Hubs, and Webs.  On reflection, I have been a part of each.  And I have found them to be very successful. Again, it was the theme that drove it.  My favorite type is a web.  The connectedness of the relationship allows for exceptional dialogue and very healthy activity.  Anonymity may be provided through pseudonyms, but the individual is "known" by that identity.  Through the truly anonymous posts, pools permit, or at least make possible, trolling and flame wars that can really drag down the over all thrust of a discussion or activity.  Hubs can be particularly strong, but that strength depends on the central figure and their ability to pull others into the hub and keep them.  The central figure must not only command presence, but exert sufficient control over the community to maintain its focus and overall health.  If that leadership is withdrawn, it can be catastrophic for the community.

Another aspect I like it the outside selection community.  One year, I was recruited from a pool community with free registration to join a hub community that was forming.  It was an invite only, and it constituted one of the healthiest and enjoyable online interactions I have ever enjoyed.  And the only reason I  don't have that community anymore is simple--the theme went away.  But if ever I were invited to join another one, I would take it.  The experience was just that good.

2 comments:

  1. True online anonymity is elusive, and disallowed in many contexts. I think that a variety of online experiences may be needed to truly understand that concept. Our online identities are but shades of our selves, and our pseudonyms are held accountable in their own rights. And behind the scenes, the dots can be connected to form our footprints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. As a community, you get a sense of the person through continuing interaction. You do not need a person's true name to have an idea of who they are and what they are about.

    ReplyDelete