Monday, May 19, 2014

Tablet Blogging Apps

So I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to find an app to allow me to blog from my tablet. Seems Google Inc. has not gotten around to publishing one compatible with Surface.  It is available for iPad and iPhone in the iTunes App Store which is not of use to me, though it looks great for Apple devotees.  The Blogger app from Google Inc. that is available on the Surface platform is only a reader and does not allow users to compose and post to their blogs.  I really wish I had read the reviews before downloading it because that was the chief complaint!  It would have saved me some time and frustration.  However, it may be useful as a dashboard and I may investigate using it as such later.  Otherwise I will be dumping the program

I also found that there are a lot of "apps" toted as providing hints and guidance in blogging.  These are also of questionable utility.  The one I tried featured the Google Blogger icon, so I thought it would be particularly useful to me.  However, it was entirely informational and not at all instructional.  It related capabilities and best practices, but did not say how to do these things or what the best tools were.  It was had typos, which made me question the source as well.  

So I attempted using a third-party app for posting to my blog. I settled on Effective Blogger because it was moderately rated and downloaded the app.  After figuring out how to add my blog account to the app, I wrote out a long post.  Disappointingly, it seemed to lack simple features like adding hyperlinks and images.  Worst still was that it would not upload the post to my blog.  This app will soon be dropped from my system along with the hints and tips app.

So I am defaulting to using my browser access on my tablet.  It allows me to write my posts as if I were at a PC, and it may be why Google Inc. has not invested any resources into writing a Surface app.

2 comments:

  1. That's frustrating. I only use blogger in the summers, for class, but I used the blogger app last summer to post a few times and enjoyed it. I use wordpress the rest of the year. And I'm an iOS user.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you never know til you try....

    ReplyDelete